Fiber diameters play an important role in the correct amount/volume injected into the connector.
For example, the 900 micron buffered fiber will displace more epoxy than a 250 micron fiber resulting in totally different volumes required to inject into the connector.
In other words, it will take slightly more epoxy for a 250 micron fiber than a 900 micron buffered fiber. Apply the same amount of epoxy for all types of fiber and connectors can lead to problems in the termination. Some of these problems cause reliability issues, bare fiber exposure inside the connector, overflow of epoxy where the mechanical movement (spring action) is locked and preventing optimum contact in mating pairs.
READ THE BLOG: Assuring the correct amount of Epoxy is in the connector
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is a static mixer the recommendation for fiber optic epoxies? - December 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: connector backside - December 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018