Here is how the lapping film is typically used: After the epoxy is cured and the fiber is scribed it must be denubbed. This step usually requires a rough grit silicon carbide film, something between a 16 um and 5 um, depending on the bead size. This allows for a consistent start point for epoxy removal.
As a more aggressive material, Silicon Carbide is often recommended over Aluminum Oxide for epoxy and glass removal. We’d like to stop the epoxy removal step at the moment all epoxy is removed from all connectors, but because the epoxy bead differs, the connector protruding from the fixture might vary slightly. The springs might be a bit different or the polish, more likely than not, will start to cut into the ferrule. The ferrule will need to be reformed. The silicon carbide usually somewhat alters the ferrule.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why are advancements in connectivity important and new designs so inevitable? - February 18, 2019
- FOC Tips: Return Loss (RL) is a measure of power reflected - February 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness? - February 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: developing a polishing process, evaluate visual defects - February 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we get information about allergic issues on some of the specific epoxy products you sell? - February 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: Minus Coplanarity, the distance between the lowest fiber and the “best-fit plane” through the array of fibers - February 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what if you continually have problems with epoxy mixing? - February 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: passive component testers and wavelength - February 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can objects contact the bottom or sidewalls of the ultrasonic bath when cleaning polishing fixtures? - February 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: Step four of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - February 1, 2019