Here is how the lapping film is typically used: After the epoxy is cured and the fiber is scribed it must be denubbed. This step usually requires a rough grit silicon carbide film, something between a 16 um and 5 um, depending on the bead size. This allows for a consistent start point for epoxy removal.
As a more aggressive material, Silicon Carbide is often recommended over Aluminum Oxide for epoxy and glass removal. We’d like to stop the epoxy removal step at the moment all epoxy is removed from all connectors, but because the epoxy bead differs, the connector protruding from the fixture might vary slightly. The springs might be a bit different or the polish, more likely than not, will start to cut into the ferrule. The ferrule will need to be reformed. The silicon carbide usually somewhat alters the ferrule.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is a static mixer the recommendation for fiber optic epoxies? - December 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: connector backside - December 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018