Here is how the lapping film is typically used: After the epoxy is cured and the fiber is scribed it must be denubbed. This step usually requires a rough grit silicon carbide film, something between a 16 um and 5 um, depending on the bead size. This allows for a consistent start point for epoxy removal.
As a more aggressive material, Silicon Carbide is often recommended over Aluminum Oxide for epoxy and glass removal. We’d like to stop the epoxy removal step at the moment all epoxy is removed from all connectors, but because the epoxy bead differs, the connector protruding from the fixture might vary slightly. The springs might be a bit different or the polish, more likely than not, will start to cut into the ferrule. The ferrule will need to be reformed. The silicon carbide usually somewhat alters the ferrule.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – remaining material in the syringe - May 23, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process? - May 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: Components of the fiber optic patch cord (cable assembly) - May 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019