Most likely, your testing specifications present minimum requirements for a Low IL and High RL.
If your production facility is challenged with meeting the desired IL/RL specs, there are common causes you can investigate and address.
However, before addressing common causes of poor IL/RL, let’s quickly explain the terms:
- Insertion Loss (IL) – The loss of signal power resulting from inserting a device in an optical fiber. This can be referred to as attenuation and is usually expressed as a ratio, in dB, relative to the input power.
- Return Loss (also called Back Reflection) – The reflection of signal power, usually resulting from inserting a device (such as a connector or other component) in an optical fiber path. Again, this is usually expressed as a ratio, in dB, relative to the input power.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have many customers using AngstromLap polishing film or are other brands more prevalent? - April 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019