In copper manufacture, the copper conductors are the strength members in many of the cable designs. The optical fibers on the other hand while very high tensile strength glass, are extremely small and highly susceptible compressive and to off axis stress.
When we look at optical fiber processing, we recognize that in both copper and fiber we are basically squirting plastic over a conductor. In one case, an electrical conductor, and in the other an optical conductor. To the untrained eye this looks like the same process. In reality we are actually doing totally different processes. In most copper extrusions we are insulating or coating the copper conductor using a direct contact application of plastic.
READ THE BLOG: Are all cable lines alike?
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: Return Loss (RL) is a measure of power reflected - February 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended minimum bond line thickness? - February 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: developing a polishing process, evaluate visual defects - February 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we get information about allergic issues on some of the specific epoxy products you sell? - February 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: Minus Coplanarity, the distance between the lowest fiber and the “best-fit plane” through the array of fibers - February 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what if you continually have problems with epoxy mixing? - February 6, 2019
- FOC Tips: passive component testers and wavelength - February 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can objects contact the bottom or sidewalls of the ultrasonic bath when cleaning polishing fixtures? - February 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: Step four of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - February 1, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What’s the easiest way to load a syringe with a mixed package of epoxy? - January 31, 2019