With regards to ribbon fiber technology such as MT ferrules a laser cleaver offers a nice even scan providing a uniform fiber height over all fibers. A traditional manual operation shows often either a dome scribe just above the epoxy beat or a straight scribe with sharp fibers. A careful manual de-nubbing of the fibers is highly appreciated before polishing to avoid fiber breakage into the epoxy zone.
An additional advantage with ribbon fiber cleaving is that the epoxy beat is largely removed but keeps all fibers imbedded and protected. The epoxy plateau creates a larger surface minimizing the potential fiber breakage on outer fibers and shows also a more uniform fiber protrusion after polishing, measured as the differential fiber height with the interferometer.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where does the contamination come from in the normal polishing process? - August 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: spring loaded connectors after primary polishing - August 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different? - August 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: inner-housing - August 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: the most common fiber optic epoxy packaging is premeasured two part packs. - August 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects start with a good print job - August 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors? - August 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what lapping films are available with PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) back? - August 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate RL measurements, use OTDR. - August 3, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does less cladding get faster transmission rates or does it? - August 2, 2018