Maintenance: It’s essential to replace dull tools and maintain machines; they must have sharp cutting edges. This is the “golden rule” in stripping. Whether you use hand tools or automated stripping machines, in time, the cutting edge will wear. A dull cutting edge can bend and stress the fiber. Do not continue using a dull tool or blade and put off buying a replacement, thinking you are saving money. In the end, this could cost a significant amount of time and money, because the connector could fail and need to be repaired or replaced in the field. A helpful hint: the hand tools used for such stripping are not expensive, and it is best to destroy and throw away worn tools and blades (as opposed to saving them as “backups”), to ensure they are not accidentally used in production.
Note the cable diameter and jacket thickness for each cable – Stripping cables and fibers is a delicate process. Carefully set your hand tool or machine tool to the right cable diameter and jacket thickness to prevent damaging the inner materials: aramid yarns, inner tubing, and glass fiber.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why aren’t packages of less than 2.5 or 2 grams available? - June 27, 2019
- FOC Tips: Assess the quality and condition of test cables - June 25, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can I select the right epoxy for a new application? - June 24, 2019
- Twenty-three Miles and Three Mountains Later: Journey in Bethlehem - June 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: guides and resources for epoxy and adhesive options - June 20, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why isn’t there one standard polishing process? - June 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019