To measure Return Loss,
some means of isolating the connector part of the reflected signal is required:
a mandrel wrap, index matching gel, or Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR).
- A mandrel wrap is impossible to use with thick cables – Early instruments relied on using a mandrel wrap to choke off further reflections. This referencing works well enough for thin, single-fiber jumpers, but thicker multi-fiber cables cannot be mandrel wrapped tightly enough to be effective.
- Gel is difficult with many connector types – Index matching gel works for simple cables, but it’s difficult for complex connectors such as MTP/MPO male or Lemo. Plus, this method is messy and requires cleaning time.
- Today, OTDR is the universally preferred method to measure Return Loss – Any sort of cable/connector can be accurately measured using an OTDR, provided the device under test is not too short (~0.5um).
READ THE BLOG: How to Accurately Measure IL/RL
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where does the contamination come from in the normal polishing process? - August 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: spring loaded connectors after primary polishing - August 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different? - August 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: inner-housing - August 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: the most common fiber optic epoxy packaging is premeasured two part packs. - August 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects start with a good print job - August 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors? - August 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what lapping films are available with PSA (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) back? - August 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate RL measurements, use OTDR. - August 3, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does less cladding get faster transmission rates or does it? - August 2, 2018