If your values are not within standard deviation, possible causes include:
- The interferometer adapter for the connector housing (not for the ferrules) does not hold the connector housing properly. This can happen when the adapter is old, because the metal parts will wear over time. Make sure the connector housing is properly inserted into the adapter.
- Not using a connector housing adapter on the interferometer. This is a must for APCs. If it’s missing, all Angle, Apex, and Key Error values will be invalid.
- The ferrule is rotating within the connector after polish. Because the spring is somewhat compressed during polishing, the ferrule is pushed back from its seat in the connector body. Typically these connector parts are plastic and do not offer exact tolerances. Sometimes they hold the ferrule in a slightly different rotational position than when polishing. You can try pushing down on the ferrule several times to compress the spring a bit, so it will settle within the connector. Then re-measure and see if the Apex and Angle values have improved.
- The fixture keying is worn. This can happen if the keying is made of plastic, and the fixture is old. We recommend you replace these parts, if possible.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Steps to Overcome Common APC Polishing Issues
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
Have questions about this FOC Tip?
Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: FiberOpticCenter@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019
- Troubleshooting tips specific to Key Error - July 19, 2019
- Concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry - July 18, 2019