2/16/2017, Lowell, MA and Spartanburg, SC – Several AFL associates were recognized for receiving patent awards for developing new products and technologies within the optical connectivity, fusion splicing and test and inspection divisions.
AFL’s Test & Inspection team received a patent for the Health Meter interface on the WDM900 Lightwave Test Set product line. Through this innovative user experience, the traditional complexity of an optical spectrum analyzer is simplified by combining multiple parameters into a single diagnosis of healthy or unhealthy for all channels in a C/DWDM transmission system. This enables the general user to quickly and easily collect expert-level test results in the field.
The Optical Connectivity Team received two patents for subsea hardware. The first patent is for a highly reliable, full ocean pressure “tube seal” consisting of a swage and a Morrison seal. The second patent, “cylindrical housing with locking ring” describes a one atmosphere pressuring housing designed to interconnect small subsea cables. Both inventions complement AFL’s subsea cable product portfolio.
Finally, AFL’s harsh environment team received a patent for new cable technology which enables optical fiber to be deployed as a temperature sensor in extremely high temperature environments in hydrocarbon processing and geothermal applications.
Founded in 1984, AFL is an international manufacturer providing end-to-end solutions to the energy, service provider, enterprise and industrial markets as well as several emerging markets. The company’s products are in use in over 130 countries and include fiber optic cable and hardware, transmission and substation accessories, outside plant equipment, connectivity, test and inspection equipment, fusion splicers and training. AFL also offers a wide variety of services supporting data center, enterprise, wireless, and outside plant applications.
Headquartered in Spartanburg, SC, AFL has operations in the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Europe, Asia and Australia, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan. For more information, visit www.AFLglobal.com.
- AFL Showcasing new TAPLINK™ Connectors at SEE Trade Show - June 19, 2019
- New Bedford Deploys Innovative Marina Trash Skimmer To Address Marine Debris In Coastal Waters - April 25, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019
- Announcing Discontinuation of Ericsson Fusion Splicer Support; Introducing New FITEL S185 Series From Furukawa Electric Co. - March 29, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 10-4 campaign to support #5MillionSteps - July 2, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the ÅngströmBond Solutions Center to provide the industry with epoxy technical solutions and products - May 8, 2018
- End Supply Chain Friction By Changing This One Thing About Your Quality Control Process… - November 16, 2017
- Study by Lockheed, Cinch, and FiberQA to be Presented during AVFOP 2017 - November 1, 2017