2/16/2017, Lowell, MA and Spartanburg, SC – Several AFL associates were recognized for receiving patent awards for developing new products and technologies within the optical connectivity, fusion splicing and test and inspection divisions.
AFL’s Test & Inspection team received a patent for the Health Meter interface on the WDM900 Lightwave Test Set product line. Through this innovative user experience, the traditional complexity of an optical spectrum analyzer is simplified by combining multiple parameters into a single diagnosis of healthy or unhealthy for all channels in a C/DWDM transmission system. This enables the general user to quickly and easily collect expert-level test results in the field.
The Optical Connectivity Team received two patents for subsea hardware. The first patent is for a highly reliable, full ocean pressure “tube seal” consisting of a swage and a Morrison seal. The second patent, “cylindrical housing with locking ring” describes a one atmosphere pressuring housing designed to interconnect small subsea cables. Both inventions complement AFL’s subsea cable product portfolio.
Finally, AFL’s harsh environment team received a patent for new cable technology which enables optical fiber to be deployed as a temperature sensor in extremely high temperature environments in hydrocarbon processing and geothermal applications.
Founded in 1984, AFL is an international manufacturer providing end-to-end solutions to the energy, service provider, enterprise and industrial markets as well as several emerging markets. The company’s products are in use in over 130 countries and include fiber optic cable and hardware, transmission and substation accessories, outside plant equipment, connectivity, test and inspection equipment, fusion splicers and training. AFL also offers a wide variety of services supporting data center, enterprise, wireless, and outside plant applications.
Headquartered in Spartanburg, SC, AFL has operations in the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Europe, Asia and Australia, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan. For more information, visit www.AFLglobal.com.
- FOC Tips: Assess the quality and condition of test cables - June 25, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can I select the right epoxy for a new application? - June 24, 2019
- Twenty-three Miles and Three Mountains Later: Journey in Bethlehem - June 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: guides and resources for epoxy and adhesive options - June 20, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why isn’t there one standard polishing process? - June 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019