At the 65th IWCS International Cable & Connectivity Symposium held in Providence, RI on October 2-5, 2016, Technical Horsepower Consulting, LLC. (THC) presented a short talk on Starting a Cable Company and/or Adding a Cable Making Division.
The talk, originally presented on October 4, 2016, included a handout outlining the basic questions that anyone contemplating starting a cable operation needs to answer just to define the boundaries of a business plan.
Everyone who ever sees the amount of optical cable being deployed seems to think there is a shortage of cable. In reality there are seasonal and market fluctuations that cause shortages. While there are many who want to look at starting a cable operation, there are a few basic questions that need to be answered before you even start to talk to the cable making equipment manufacturers.
After being contacted by several people interested in this topic but unable to attend the live event, I have put this article together that can be found on my website: http://bit.ly/2dDObO0
- How small is too small…. the fiber optic cable industry over the decades - January 16, 2019
- What we do vs. what we wish to do – thoughts on the realistic integration of next-generation fiber optic technologies - October 16, 2018
- Are we doomed to repeat the past? Not letting our industry’s critical “tribal knowledge” become a lost art - October 2, 2018
- Fiber optic cable specifications: With so many specs, which ones should you qualify to? - May 26, 2017
- Optical cable measurements: Why don’t OTDR and jacket length markings agree? - May 16, 2017
- Cablers: Advice to efficiently reconfigure fiber optic process lines for add-on products – without resulting in suboptimized products - February 8, 2017
- Cablers: Are you looking to work with specialty cables or furcation tubes? If so, here are key points to consider. - January 25, 2017
- Advice for raw material suppliers planning to sell to the optical cable industry: 4 points to consider – and pitfalls to avoid - January 17, 2017
- Advice for Cable Manufacturers Looking to Enter the US Fiber Optic Market - December 8, 2016
- Buying used vs. new equipment: challenges in optical cable manufacture and new extrusion line business - November 17, 2016