The latest news from Fiber Optic Center’s Corporate Citizen spotlights one of our favorite peeps here at FOC, Zane Fitzgerald, an important cause and some excellent New England history.
This is a very exciting time for our Zane Fitzgerald who is contributing to an important cause as he trains for the infamous Boston Marathon. We are proud to support Zane’s passion, hard work, and the difference he is making in our world.
For those who know Zane, he is a daily example of positive balance. His excellent work ethic is seen early in and late to leave the office, outside commitments to church, charities and volunteerism and family dedication to his wife and three young children.
At FOC, we believe a business is only as strong as the community that surrounds and supports us and in addition to investing locally to several organizations, we are dedicated to the common causes and passions of our staff.
The Herren Project was founded in 2011 by former professional basketball player, Chris Herren, with the goal of helping others navigate the road to recovery from the disease of addiction. The organization has helped thousands of individuals and their families from anywhere within the United States with treatment navigation and family support services as well as brought awareness to substance use prevention.
Support of the Herren Project directly supports 1) Treatment navigation and recovery, 2) Support Services and 3) Prevention and Outreach
The Boston Marathon
On April 20th of this year, Zane will be running the Boston Marathon. With our office located just south of Boston, the annual marathon race hosted by several cities in greater Boston, Massachusetts, United States is a part of our culture as well as the countries’ history. Held on Patriots’ Day, the third Monday of April, it is the world’s oldest annual marathon (Begun in 1897) and ranks as one of the world’s best-known road racing events.
Amateur and professional runners from all over the world compete in the Boston Marathon over the hilly terrain and varying weather in our home state.
The Boston Marathon was originally a local event, but its fame and status have attracted runners from all over the world. It attracts 500,000 spectators and an average of over 30,000 registered participants each year that keeps growing.
Due to the numbers, the race start times have to be staggered. To give you an idea of the scope, the starting times for 2019 were:
- Men’s Push Rim Wheelchair: 9:02 a.m.
- Women’s Push Rim Wheelchair: 9:04 a.m.
- Handcycles and Duos: 9:25 a.m.
- Elite Women: 9:32 a.m.
- Elite Men: 10 a.m.
- Wave One: 10:02 a.m.
- Wave Two: 10:25 a.m.
- Wave Three: 10:50 a.m.
- Wave Four: 11:15 a.m.
Another local tradition, that began in 1903, includes our baseball home team, the Boston Red Sox. Every year, the Red Sox play a home game at Fenway Park, and when the game ends, the crowd empties into Kenmore Square to cheer as the runners enter the final mile.
For updates on Zane’s journey from training to donations to fun facts, follow on the FOC Road to the Boston Marathon page on our website as well as FOC twitter @FiberOpticCntr and the FOC Facebook Page.
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Technical Discussion schedule, Reception and Product Demonstrations at OFC March 10-12, 2020, San Diego, CA - February 27, 2020
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Richard Mack as Market Analyst - February 10, 2020
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Technical Discussion schedule at SPIE Photonics West February 4-6, 2020, San Francisco, CA - February 4, 2020
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces latest Corporate Citizen project: FOC Road to the Boston Marathon - January 23, 2020
- The Latest Corporate Citizen at FOC makes FOC Proud - January 22, 2020
- Fiber Optic Center, Inc., announces Ben Waite as presenter at the 5th CRU World Optical Fiber & Cable Conference - October 10, 2019
- Network experts from Verizon and Microsoft join the world’s leading fiber companies for the 5th CRU World Optical Fiber & Cable Conference - October 1, 2019
- FOC announces presentation, paper and tutorials on latest industry products at International Cable & Connectivity Symposium (IWCS) 2019 - September 29, 2019
- New FOC Website and Expanded Technical Resource Centers Launch at ECOC 2019 announced - September 23, 2019
- Larry Donalds presenting Critical Design Goals to Manufacture Optical Fiber Preforms at the 6th Workshop on Specialty Optical Fiber and Their Applications (WSOF) November 6-8, 2019, Charleston, SC - September 1, 2019