For Bi-Directional testing, can I run the test in both direction and not have to swap the cable and run the test again?
It’s fair to say most assembly houses test the optical loss of a single mated pair using a launch cable connected to the DUT with the far end of the DUT plugged directly into the power meter via the adapter cap. To complete the test, the DUT is flipped and the second connector is then tested. Here is where people envision the time savings. Won’t it be great to run the test in both direction and not have to swap the cable and run the test again? Well yes, but here’s the rub: you have one side attached without a launch. Bi-Directional test requires the use of a launch AND a receive cable, so when it light it shot in one direction there is a launch and when it’s shot in the opposite direction there is also a launch.
So if you aren’t already using the launch and receive cable method of testing you’ll have to change your test method to fully utilize the Bi-Directional feature. The launch and receive jumper method for optical loss give the loss of the entire jumper in one direction.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Is Bi-Directional testing the silver bullet to cut all your optical testing time in half?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team September 28, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019