Fluorine is the atom that gives the properties of low refractive index and low surface energy (the hydrophobic, non-stickiness of the surface).
Fluorination is the thing that makes AL-2233 so much like Teflon.
There are not many things that have much affinity for fluorine, so the solvent for AL-2233 has to be fluorinated too. But the solvent is very volatile and really serves as the vehicle to deliver the fluorinated polymer to the surface being coated.
AL-2233 can be applied by spin coating, spraying, dipping, etc. When the solvent evaporates it leaves behind the fluorinated polymer layer. Final layer thicknesses are easily controlled by adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer in the solvent to begin with.
READ THE BLOG: It’s a lot like Teflon
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: some patch cords show ‘gain’ so how can this be possible, is there something wrong with the instrument? - March 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019