Fluorine is the atom that gives the properties of low refractive index and low surface energy (the hydrophobic, non-stickiness of the surface).
Fluorination is the thing that makes AL-2233 so much like Teflon.
There are not many things that have much affinity for fluorine, so the solvent for AL-2233 has to be fluorinated too. But the solvent is very volatile and really serves as the vehicle to deliver the fluorinated polymer to the surface being coated.
AL-2233 can be applied by spin coating, spraying, dipping, etc. When the solvent evaporates it leaves behind the fluorinated polymer layer. Final layer thicknesses are easily controlled by adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer in the solvent to begin with.
READ THE BLOG: It’s a lot like Teflon
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Category Resource: FOC Beyond Fiber Specialty Products Page
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
Have questions about this FOC Tip?
Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: FiberOpticCenter@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – THAWING - November 13, 2019
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse it - October 23, 2019
- Measuring Insertion Loss and Return Loss Recommendations to Achieve the Best and Most Accurate Test Measurement - October 23, 2019
- Cross-Sectioning Fiber Optic Connectors: An Effective Diagnostic Method to Identify Defects and Resolve Process Issues - October 23, 2019
- The “Ideal” Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector – and How to Achieve It - October 23, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – recommended length of time - October 23, 2019
- Techniques when using stripping tools - October 18, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – implementing process controls - September 18, 2019
- Aramid yarns and Good stripping techniques - September 11, 2019
- When the “back-side” connector end-face is contaminated, it is difficult to have access to remove the connector for cleaning - September 8, 2019