Best Practice tips and techniques for epoxy burst pouch / burstable seal bi-packs.
You may want to save these tips – and refer to them when training your cable assembly production team.
Here are instructions for burst pouch bi-packs
(with notes for best results)
Step 1: Roll the pouch toward the burst seal.
Step 2: Use your thumbs to apply pressure and rupture the burst seal.
Step 3: Use a table edge to mix the resin and hardener (Part A and Part B).
I recommend counting 25 passes to achieve a uniform color and mixture. In each pass, methodically push all the material to one end of the package, then to the other end. Check the corners of the bi-pack to ensure all the material is mixed in. Counting the number of passes (instead of minutes) helps to ensure a uniform mixture, without overmixing.
Also, be sure to note the time. The epoxy’s pot life and work life begin the instant it’s mixed. Some epoxies have a pot life of 2 hours, some are 24 hours, so be sure to read the data sheet. It’s extremely helpful to set up an efficient, streamlined production process, which can minimize epoxy waste.
Step 4: Cut the corner of the package and squeeze the mixed epoxy into a dispensing syringe.
Once in the syringe, it must be degassed. To remove trapped air, you can use a vacuum de-airing process or centrifuge, depending on what works best for your process and application.
READ THE BLOG: Epoxy Bi-Pack News – and Usage Tips for Best Results
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what industries need a fiber optic SMA today? - October 2, 2018