How can you decrease and increase Radius values?
Generally speaking, the smaller your average Radius value, the smaller the deviation in results will be. It is usually a good idea to aim for the lower end of the Radius specification rather than the middle or upper end of the spec. For example, if the Radius spec limits are 7-25mm, you’ll usually have better and more consistent results if you target 10-12mm as opposed to 18-20mm.
How to decrease or increase Radius values:
- Decrease Radius values by applying more pressure or using a softer rubber pad.
- Increase Radius values by applying less pressure or using a harder rubber pad.
When your Radius values are under control, look at another key geometry parameter: Apex (also called Apex Offset). This reflects the angle of the polished end-face. If the Apex values are too large, this means your ferrules are being polished at an angle that is too large. All other conditions being equal, a smaller Radius value will generally result in a better Apex value. This is another reason to aim for an average Radius value toward the lower end of spec limits. If you’re already dialed-in on desired Radius values and the Apex values remain unacceptable, the cause is likely related to worn polishing fixtures or worn rubber pads. In both cases, the only fix is to replace the worn fixture or rubber pad.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: How to Develop a Fiber Optic Polishing Process that Produces Consistent Results
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 8, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019