How do you achieve the target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers?
Today, fiber height is the easiest geometry parameter to control. How do you achieve the target fiber height of +/-20 nanometers?
The tightened tolerance of +/-20 is surprisingly easy to achieve with the advanced final polishing lapping films now available. In fact, two new films enable you to control the fiber height you generate – along with the specific pressure, speed, and pad durometer that you identify for your facility’s production environment.
These new final polishing lapping films are:
- ÅngströmLap Ultimas-P – This protrusion final film generates positive fiber height
- ÅngströmLap Ultimas-U – This final lapping film generates negative fiber height
I had the opportunity to tour the Ångström facility in Japan and learned about the manufacturer’s propriety process. These two final films control the depth of material, deposition of material, particle size, and other physical attributes that govern fiber height.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is the Ideal Fiber Height for a Fiber Optic Connector?
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team March 26, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019
- Troubleshooting tips specific to Key Error - July 19, 2019
- Concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry - July 18, 2019