How tight is the buffer on the cable that I am providing?
I have been asked about this so many times, I wrote a blog article on this exact question.
Is it a “true tight buffer” or is it “semi tight” or “loose tight buffer” or one of the other various terms thrown around such as tight bound, tight strippable, bonded, or even tension centered, etc. The biggest single concerns are in how the fiber will react in termination processing either for connectorization, preparation for fusion splicing, mechanical splices or sealing into an enclosure or furcation tube. The reason for all of the concerns about how tight the buffer is placed on the fiber deal with whether or not there is enough gap or separation to allow independently removing the buffer from the coating or preventing the coating and buffer interstitial space from absorbing epoxy from connectorization or other termination operations.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team April 13, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what happens if you overmix epoxy? - January 4, 2019
- FOC Tips: defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables - January 3, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can one verify that epoxy processes are appropriate for the product? - December 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how many different ways are there to terminate an optical fiber which is tight buffered and where can I find more information on each? - December 20, 2018