How tight is the buffer on the cable that I am providing?
I have been asked about this so many times, I wrote a blog article on this exact question.
Is it a “true tight buffer” or is it “semi tight” or “loose tight buffer” or one of the other various terms thrown around such as tight bound, tight strippable, bonded, or even tension centered, etc. The biggest single concerns are in how the fiber will react in termination processing either for connectorization, preparation for fusion splicing, mechanical splices or sealing into an enclosure or furcation tube. The reason for all of the concerns about how tight the buffer is placed on the fiber deal with whether or not there is enough gap or separation to allow independently removing the buffer from the coating or preventing the coating and buffer interstitial space from absorbing epoxy from connectorization or other termination operations.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Defining type and semi tight buffers as opposed to loose tubes in optical cables
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team April 13, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: important preventive measures to help reduce chance of fiber damage during stripping - April 23, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can the errors made in the Termination processes be detected by subsequent production-line tests / measurements? - April 20, 2018
- FOC Tips: abrasive lapping films - April 19, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping - April 17, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how and when should you purchase epoxy material in premixed and frozen syringes? - April 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how tight is the buffer on the cable that I am providing? - April 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber and faster transmission rates - April 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does Bi-Directional make sense? - April 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: ferrule size - April 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why Do Scratches Appear After Using the Final Film? - April 5, 2018