Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface?
The pot life on epoxy starts the moment the two parts are mixed. This means you need to plan your work, and have everything you need at your fingertips.
Here’s a checklist:
- Very clean mixing equipment and any secondary mixing containers, e.g., stainless steel spatulas, polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) mix containers that have been final-rinsed with electronic-grade isopropyl alcohol (IPA, <0.5% water)
- A test-tube rack (or something similar) to hold syringes upright, as discussed above
- Any dispensing equipment reservoirs, positioned to be filled directly
A favorite tip: Make a polyethylene work surface. PE can be cut using woodworking tools, and you can place it in any dedicated space to create an easy-to-clean work surface. PE is gleaming white in color, chemically resistant, and available in 1/8” or ¼” sheets. You can easily wipe off uncured epoxy with acetone and a Kimwipe and remove cured epoxy by gently scraping it off.
READ THIS FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Helpful Epoxy Tips (and a Few Tricks)
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team March 12, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are considering using) MT thermoset or thermoplastic ferrules in our cable assemblies. What do we need to know before deciding? - March 5, 2019