We are a fiber optic cable assembly manufacturer. For epoxy bi-packs, what are the typical package sizes?
For fiber optic cable assembly manufacturers, bi-packs of 2.5-gram and 4-gram are typical package sizes for epoxy. While these packages contain a very small amount of material, they support the fabrication of quite a few cable connectors and assemblies. (Note that epoxy package sizes range from 2-gram to 10-gram and higher.)
Which package size best suits your process? Given the many considerations, the choice is not as clear-cut as you may think. Often, customers ask me questions like this:
- “I use two 2-gram packages, but throw away most of the second package, because I don’t need it all. However, I’m reluctant to buy 4-gram packages, because I would still have waste. What do I do? Which package size is best for my process?”
- “We buy the 4-gram package to get a better price per gram. But there’s always some waste. Throwing away unused epoxy is like throwing away money. What do you suggest?”
- “Our process requires very little epoxy, and we use the smallest package size available. Even so, there’s still some waste. Why can’t we purchase packages with a smaller quantity?”
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Ideas to adjust your epoxy process: Recommendations to reduce waste (and save money) in your fiber optic cable assembly process
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 29, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Our epoxy is curing differently and has a different color. Can I use it? - May 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: the hole in the ferrule is not perfectly centered - May 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a trick to keep the polishing film from moving? - May 6, 2019