We are a fiber optic cable assembly manufacturer. For epoxy bi-packs, what are the typical package sizes?
For fiber optic cable assembly manufacturers, bi-packs of 2.5-gram and 4-gram are typical package sizes for epoxy. While these packages contain a very small amount of material, they support the fabrication of quite a few cable connectors and assemblies. (Note that epoxy package sizes range from 2-gram to 10-gram and higher.)
Which package size best suits your process? Given the many considerations, the choice is not as clear-cut as you may think. Often, customers ask me questions like this:
- “I use two 2-gram packages, but throw away most of the second package, because I don’t need it all. However, I’m reluctant to buy 4-gram packages, because I would still have waste. What do I do? Which package size is best for my process?”
- “We buy the 4-gram package to get a better price per gram. But there’s always some waste. Throwing away unused epoxy is like throwing away money. What do you suggest?”
- “Our process requires very little epoxy, and we use the smallest package size available. Even so, there’s still some waste. Why can’t we purchase packages with a smaller quantity?”
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Ideas to adjust your epoxy process: Recommendations to reduce waste (and save money) in your fiber optic cable assembly process
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 29, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are considering using) MT thermoset or thermoplastic ferrules in our cable assemblies. What do we need to know before deciding? - March 5, 2019