We are considering using) MT thermoset or thermoplastic ferrules in our cable assemblies. What do we need to know before deciding?
A development that can improve your polishing process is Fiber Optic Center’s Angstrom polishing films now offer a silicon dioxide coated flock pile pad. This new polishing pad is specifically designed to enhance the surface quality of the glass fibers and provide a higher quality polish while maintaining the generated fiber protrusion.
When discussing Chemical Mechanical Planarization (also called Chemical Mechanical Polishing or CMP) with process engineers at cable assembly houses, I find there are a lot of questions about flock pile pads. Keep in mind that your specific CMP process will be dictated by the material of the MT ferrule (thermoset or thermoplastic), the MT connector manufacturer, and your desired geometry and surface quality requirements.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Using Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) to polish MT ferrules and get repeatable, predictable results
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team March 5, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: Use the proper strip template when stripping for connectorization - July 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: which epoxy is the best for my application? - July 15, 2019
- Maple Syrup, Hidden Trails and Eerie Sights on the Third-Tallest Mountain in Vermont - July 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: the four major components of the fiber optic patch cord - July 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when stripping multi-layer cables for connectorization, does each layer need to be stripped individually? - July 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1550 higher than 1310 - July 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Should we check for crystallization? Do we need to adjust our inspection process? - July 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: diameter of the ferrule’s hole bore is larger than the outside diameter of the fiber - July 5, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we establish good cleaning techniques throughout the polishing process? - July 3, 2019
- FOC Tips: Connectors are aligned and contacted optimally - July 2, 2019