What are the key differences between copper and glass optical fiber we need to be aware of?
Copper is a malleable metal that can be drawn or stretched, is relatively strong, has a relatively low thermal expansion and acts as a heat sink to the polymer during the extrusion process.
Glass optical fiber on the other hand is an engineered crystalline structure consisting of many layers and materials. We have glass and optical index of refraction additives in the core and cladding surrounded by the various ultraviolet cured acrylate polymers that make up the optical fiber coating. This engineered assembly does not like stretch and in fact any strain shortens the optical glass lifetime. Due to the crystalline nature of glass there is no sheer strength in the fiber.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Are all cable lines alike?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 4, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: cables hanging in existing masts vs. installing ducts in the ground - June 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are there Standards on the amount of contamination for multi-fiber end-faces? - June 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: “transition point” where buffered fiber is stripped away to reveal the bare fiber - June 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get a little bit of Teflon? - June 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: dual asymmetric centrifuge - June 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: contamination of fixture affecting precision - June 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: cross sectioning and detailed failure analysis - June 8, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy? - June 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: 2-stage heat cure - June 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why is The Phenix fibersect fiber cleaving device referred to as an ‘industry standard’ in some places? - June 5, 2018