What are the key differences between copper and glass optical fiber we need to be aware of?
Copper is a malleable metal that can be drawn or stretched, is relatively strong, has a relatively low thermal expansion and acts as a heat sink to the polymer during the extrusion process.
Glass optical fiber on the other hand is an engineered crystalline structure consisting of many layers and materials. We have glass and optical index of refraction additives in the core and cladding surrounded by the various ultraviolet cured acrylate polymers that make up the optical fiber coating. This engineered assembly does not like stretch and in fact any strain shortens the optical glass lifetime. Due to the crystalline nature of glass there is no sheer strength in the fiber.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Are all cable lines alike?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 4, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are there different geometry parameter measurements for PC ferrules and APC ferrules? - August 21, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: differences between Viavi Sidewinder and Sumix Manta? - August 20, 2018
- FOC Tips: Build in buffer time to validate your curing schedule - August 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where does the contamination come from in the normal polishing process? - August 16, 2018
- FOC Tips: spring loaded connectors after primary polishing - August 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how are the environments in which copper and optical cable are produced different? - August 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: inner-housing - August 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: the most common fiber optic epoxy packaging is premeasured two part packs. - August 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects start with a good print job - August 10, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods of cross sectioning fiber optic connectors? - August 9, 2018