Where can I get a little bit of Teflon?
AngstromLink AL-2233 is basically that. A Teflon-like polymer dissolved in an evaporative solvent. To get a thin layer of ‘almost -Teflon’, make a thin layer of AL-2233 and let the solvent evaporate.
What will be left behind is an amorphous polymer layer that:
- Can range in thickness from <10 nm to 10u thick (anti-reflective lens coating or cladding for a waveguide)
- Has a Refractive index of 1.33 (matches water)
- Is very hydrophobic (like Teflon, can be used to mask areas from other coatings or as an optical grade mold release)
- Is optically clear (in such thin layers)
Fluorination is the thing that makes AL-2233 so much like Teflon.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: It’s a lot like Teflon
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team June 14, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: cables hanging in existing masts vs. installing ducts in the ground - June 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are there Standards on the amount of contamination for multi-fiber end-faces? - June 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: “transition point” where buffered fiber is stripped away to reveal the bare fiber - June 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get a little bit of Teflon? - June 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: dual asymmetric centrifuge - June 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: contamination of fixture affecting precision - June 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: cross sectioning and detailed failure analysis - June 8, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy? - June 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: 2-stage heat cure - June 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why is The Phenix fibersect fiber cleaving device referred to as an ‘industry standard’ in some places? - June 5, 2018