Setting up a new bonding process and need to establish the curing schedule or your production process is set but experiencing fiber movement and need to adjust curing temperature or time, here is a FOC TIP to validate your curing schedule:
Build in buffer time – While your curing time may be 12 minutes, you might adjust the timer to 15 minutes, giving you a 25% margin.
You can’t really over-cure by time. If epoxy curing time is a bit longer, there’s no problem. However, if curing time is too short, there potentially can be problems with the bond and, therefore, with long-term product reliability.
You always want to be conservative with epoxy due to the risk of shipping product with epoxy that isn’t properly cured.
If your customer deploys cable assemblies with improperly cured epoxy, the cost to your company to replace product – after it has been installed in the field – can be catastrophic.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOC Tips: Passive component tester configurations - November 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much is enough or the right amount of epoxy in the connector? - November 12, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step two of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what causes the Apex of a radius to be imperfect, to be off-center? - November 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: Insertion Loss (IL) is the loss of power due to adding a jumper. - November 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: MT ferrule geometry measurements - November 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: contamination on the fixture prevents ferrules from protruding equal distance from the base of the fixture - November 2, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we decide which passive component tester to purchase? - November 1, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector A” notes - October 30, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: we are a fiber optic cable assembly manufacturer. For epoxy bi-packs, what are the typical package sizes? - October 29, 2018