Setting up a new bonding process and need to establish the curing schedule or your production process is set but experiencing fiber movement and need to adjust curing temperature or time, here is a FOC TIP to validate your curing schedule:
Build in buffer time – While your curing time may be 12 minutes, you might adjust the timer to 15 minutes, giving you a 25% margin.
You can’t really over-cure by time. If epoxy curing time is a bit longer, there’s no problem. However, if curing time is too short, there potentially can be problems with the bond and, therefore, with long-term product reliability.
You always want to be conservative with epoxy due to the risk of shipping product with epoxy that isn’t properly cured.
If your customer deploys cable assemblies with improperly cured epoxy, the cost to your company to replace product – after it has been installed in the field – can be catastrophic.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – wet-sanding offers more luster - January 22, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does fiber height variation increase when overall fiber heights increases? - January 21, 2019
- FOC Tips: even stripped fiber, free of damage, during stripping and handling is susceptible to breaking ….. - January 17, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we minimize epoxy material waste and reduce costs? - January 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: measuring a PC ferrule’s Apex Offset - January 15, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are common connector issues that we should be on alert for? - January 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: To help ensure accurate IL measurements, use good-quality test jumpers - January 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: adjusting the concentration of the fluorinated polymer - January 10, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: If the epoxy has filler or glass beads, will that interfere with the strength of the bond – and create the need for a thicker bond line? - January 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and nicks - January 7, 2019