Contamination within the ferrule bore is preventing the ferrule from sliding freely within the bore: This mainly applies to connector polishing (as opposed to ferrule-only polishing) where the connector’s spring force is relied on to present equal downward pressure to the ferrules during polishing.
The ferrules in a connector fiber optic polishing fixture must be able to piston up-and-down freely in the fixture. If contamination of the ferrule bore holds the ferrule too tightly, this may “lock up” the ferrules or prevent them from pistoning consistently / smoothly within the bore during polishing. This, in turn, will result in different pressures being applied to the end-faces during polishing—–which creates variation in Radius values, FH values, and fiber end-face polish quality (scratches).
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018
- FOC Tips: Apex Offset for APC Ferrules - November 27, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: when cleaning polishing fixtures, does the entire object need to be submerged in an ultrasonic bath? - November 26, 2018