Fiber Optic Center offers the service of Cross Sectioning and detailed failure analysis and also provides the equipment and training to companies that need internal capability for cross sectioning.
FOC offers this unique cross-sectioning service to identify and isolate problems related to fiber optic terminations that would otherwise be invisible. This process starts by performing a metallographic analysis of a fiber optic connector requiring several hours of vacuum desiccation followed by vacuum mounting of the samples with a slow cure, low expansion mounting epoxy.
These encapsulated samples are then manually polished, maintaining precise flatness, depth and co planarity with the ceramic hole to result in the best possible vantage point for final inspection. FOC then provides a failure mode interpretation and suggests cause or source of the failure. Photographic documentation with various magnifications, illumination techniques and microscopes are included to illustrate this analysis.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is a static mixer the recommendation for fiber optic epoxies? - December 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: connector backside - December 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are the main applications and industries for optical fiber other than communication networks? - December 11, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: if a fiber is damaged during stripping, will it affect the finished product? - December 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector B” notes - December 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: for benchtop microscopes, what types of contamination are they best suited to identify? - December 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: Follow the Telcordia GR-326 standard to validate your curing schedule - December 4, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we reduce the risk of dermatitis when working with epoxies? - December 3, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step three of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 29, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the advantages of SMA connectors over others? - November 28, 2018