Fiber Optic Center offers the service of Cross Sectioning and detailed failure analysis and also provides the equipment and training to companies that need internal capability for cross sectioning.
FOC offers this unique cross-sectioning service to identify and isolate problems related to fiber optic terminations that would otherwise be invisible. This process starts by performing a metallographic analysis of a fiber optic connector requiring several hours of vacuum desiccation followed by vacuum mounting of the samples with a slow cure, low expansion mounting epoxy.
These encapsulated samples are then manually polished, maintaining precise flatness, depth and co planarity with the ceramic hole to result in the best possible vantage point for final inspection. FOC then provides a failure mode interpretation and suggests cause or source of the failure. Photographic documentation with various magnifications, illumination techniques and microscopes are included to illustrate this analysis.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: cables hanging in existing masts vs. installing ducts in the ground - June 20, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: are there Standards on the amount of contamination for multi-fiber end-faces? - June 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: “transition point” where buffered fiber is stripped away to reveal the bare fiber - June 15, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: where can I get a little bit of Teflon? - June 14, 2018
- FOC Tips: dual asymmetric centrifuge - June 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: contamination of fixture affecting precision - June 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: cross sectioning and detailed failure analysis - June 8, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a way to avoid wasted epoxy? - June 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: 2-stage heat cure - June 6, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why is The Phenix fibersect fiber cleaving device referred to as an ‘industry standard’ in some places? - June 5, 2018