Whether you’re using step ferrules or conical ferrules, you may have problems achieving consistent results for the 4 basic geometric characteristics – Radius, Angle/Apex, and Key Error – that are relevant to the APC polishing process. The following paragraphs offer troubleshooting tips to overcome common polishing issues.
- Rubber pads – If the pads are more than 6 months old, they may show uneven wear. This wear will negatively affect Radius and Apex/Angle results. The replacement schedule is dependent upon use. It is best determined by monitoring Radius and Apex statistics, and replacing rubber pads when values approach control limits. For time-based replacement schedules, I’d recommend every 6 months for moderate-to-heavy use and no longer than 1 year for low-to-moderate use.
- The fixture – Holes in the fixture will wear out over time (generally 3 to 5 years), which can impact parameters (mostly Angle/Apex). Pin gauges can be used to monitor hole diameters, but since wear is often not symmetrical, it’s difficult to quantify hole roundness/ovality. Often, the best way to verify that hole-wear is still acceptable is to return the plate to the manufacturer for measurement or try a new “loaner” fixture and see if results improve significantly.
- Plastic clips in the polishing fixture – These can wear out or break and should be replaced periodically. Also, operators should always ensure connectors click into place properly.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Steps to Overcome Common APC Polishing Issues
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019