Whether you’re using step ferrules or conical ferrules, you may have problems achieving consistent results for the 4 basic geometric characteristics – Radius, Angle/Apex, and Key Error – that are relevant to the APC polishing process. The following paragraphs offer troubleshooting tips to overcome common polishing issues.
- Rubber pads – If the pads are more than 6 months old, they may show uneven wear. This wear will negatively affect Radius and Apex/Angle results. The replacement schedule is dependent upon use. It is best determined by monitoring Radius and Apex statistics, and replacing rubber pads when values approach control limits. For time-based replacement schedules, I’d recommend every 6 months for moderate-to-heavy use and no longer than 1 year for low-to-moderate use.
- The fixture – Holes in the fixture will wear out over time (generally 3 to 5 years), which can impact parameters (mostly Angle/Apex). Pin gauges can be used to monitor hole diameters, but since wear is often not symmetrical, it’s difficult to quantify hole roundness/ovality. Often, the best way to verify that hole-wear is still acceptable is to return the plate to the manufacturer for measurement or try a new “loaner” fixture and see if results improve significantly.
- Plastic clips in the polishing fixture – These can wear out or break and should be replaced periodically. Also, operators should always ensure connectors click into place properly.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Steps to Overcome Common APC Polishing Issues
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have many customers using AngstromLap polishing film or are other brands more prevalent? - April 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019