Each step of How to Develop a Fiber Optic Polishing Process that Produces Consistent Results can be found in our article of the same name but here we highlight:
Step 4. To adjust your process, start with a focus on Radius.
The ability to achieve desirable, consistent Radius values is critical to developing a fiber optic polishing process. Radius is the first geometry parameter to bring under control.
Why? Because the Radius value is an excellent indicator of consistency in polishing pressure and the amount of ferrule material removed during the process – important factors that highly impact all results, including visual appearance and angle (particularly with conical-style APC ferrules). When all polished ferrules have an identical Radius after polishing, this indicates that all ferrules have undergone consistent polishing conditions.
After polishing a group of connectors, use the interferometer to measure geometry and focus on the Radius values. As a rough rule of thumb, a stable Radius variation on one plate of ferrules should be less than 2mm. If the variation is higher, you likely have a process issue or your polishing equipment is subjecting ferrules to varying pressure.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: How to Develop a Fiber Optic Polishing Process that Produces Consistent Results
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOC Tips: visual inspection is made easier with an automated fiberscope - April 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: no changes in fiber optic cable assembly production process, but measured IL and RL values of product aren’t as good as they were-could there be something wrong with the measurement equipment? - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. Expands Marketing Department; Joni Montemagno joins as Director Marketing Promotions - April 17, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces FOC 20–5-1 campaign to support Children’s Cancer Research #20mtns5states1mission - April 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: in APC polishing is conical or step ferrules more expensive? - April 16, 2019
- FOC Tips: importance of controlling the amount of epoxy inside the ferrule-holder - April 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: Quick troubleshooting checklist for common APC polishing issues - April 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We have issues with crystallized epoxy: has the epoxy had “gone bad”? - April 10, 2019
- Press Release: Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces the appointment of Kelly Michael Skelton as Systems Architect - April 9, 2019
- FOC Tips: Contamination on the outside of the ferrule or inside the adapter sleeve - April 9, 2019