Single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process:
Step 1. Define your objectives, especially measurement criteria and process yields.
When developing a polishing process, it’s important to clarify your acceptance criteria and targeted yields – and have the ability to accurately measure and quantify pass/fail results. For example, do your polished ferrules need to meet an end-face geometry specification such as those specified in Telcordia GR-326? Also, virtually all polished fiber optic ferrule end-faces must meet SOME visual appearance specifications. What criteria will you use to determine if your polishing results are acceptable or not?
When developing a polishing process, we highly recommend that your initial targets are to meet GR-326 geometry requirements and IEC 61300-3-35 visual requirements – with a minimum yield expectation of 95% passing.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: How to Develop a Fiber Optic Polishing Process that Produces Consistent Results
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
- FOC Tips: Passive component tester configurations - November 13, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much is enough or the right amount of epoxy in the connector? - November 12, 2018
- FOC Tips: Step two of single-fiber PC ferrules, developing a polishing process - November 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what causes the Apex of a radius to be imperfect, to be off-center? - November 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: Insertion Loss (IL) is the loss of power due to adding a jumper. - November 7, 2018
- FOC Tips: MT ferrule geometry measurements - November 5, 2018
- FOC Tips: contamination on the fixture prevents ferrules from protruding equal distance from the base of the fixture - November 2, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do we decide which passive component tester to purchase? - November 1, 2018
- FOC Tips: Fiber Optic Connector Cross Sectioning example from “Connector A” notes - October 30, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: we are a fiber optic cable assembly manufacturer. For epoxy bi-packs, what are the typical package sizes? - October 29, 2018