Seikoh Giken SFP-550 Polishing Instructions
- suitable single mode fiber
- suitable epoxy
- proper mixing, application & curing of epoxy
- connector quality & tolerances
- pressure & time of polishing at each step
- lapping film quality & consistency
- lapping film grit sizes & materials
- polishing solutions
- adapter quality & tolerances
- specific cleaning procedures
- test methods & conditions
- overall cleanliness
- calibration & quality of test instruments & reference cable
When used with the SFP-550 and the materials listed below, the UPC and APC polishing processes requires between 5-10 minutes for up to 20 or 32 2.5 mm connectors or up to 24 or 40 1.25 mm connectors:
1. Prior to loading connectors into the polishing fixture, perform a quick de-nubbing or air polish to remove the sharp edges from the fiber and to get the fiber flush with the epoxy. Ten to 15 small circles should be enough, but will vary according to cleave length.
2. Use 70 or 80 durometer rubber pads for 2.5mm ferruled connectors, p/n PR5X-500-70 or 80, and 90 durometer rubber pads for the 1.25mm ferruled connectors, PR5X-480-90. Use a separate rubber pad for each step. Using the correct rubber pad will help create the correct Radius of Curvature.
3. Clean rubber pads with at least 99% pure isopropyl alcohol and lint free wipes. ITW Chemtronics 6704 Econowipes or CleanTex 604 lint free wipes are recommended to insure no contamination occurs during the cleaning process.
4. Use a minimal amount of distilled water to adhere lapping films to rubber pads. Make sure air bubbles are kept to minimum, and no debris is trapped between the film and rubber pad. A piece of double sided tape can be used to help keep lapping film on the pads.
5. Between each polishing step flush out connector end-faces, work-holder surface, lapping film surface, bottom of rubber pad, surface rubber pad rests on with de-ionized water. Then wipe with lint-free wipe, and blast with compressed or canned air, p/n ES1217. Proper cleaning will help insure a scratch, pit or defect free end-face.
6. Refer to tables below for recommended process. Please note processes are for pre-angled and pre-domed connectors.
Fiber Optic Center is your resource to help answer technical questions. Email your questions to our AskFOC tool at AskFOC@focenter.com. Our Technical Team will answer your questions.
Follow Fiber Optic Center @FiberOpticCntr
Erwin Gelderblom, FOC EMEA Business Development Technical Where the telecommunication industry standardized their optical connectivity performance with visual, optical and geometrical measurements, the specialty fiber industry traditionally performs only a visual...
New Bedford, MA, USA, February 10, 2020– Fiber Optic Center, Inc., (FOC), an international leading distributor specializing in helping their customers make the best cable assemblies in the world, announces the appointment of Richard Mack as Market Analyst. Richard...
Fiber Optic Center, Inc. announces Technical Discussion schedule at SPIE Photonics West February 4-6, 2020, San Francisco, CA
New Bedford, MA, USA, February 4, 2020– Fiber Optic Center, Inc., (FOC), an international leading distributor specializing in helping their customers make the best cable assemblies in the world, announces Technical Discussion schedule at SPIE Photonics West February...
The DE2503 accommodates bare fiber inspection as well as all of the standard connector’s including the entire series of multi-fiber connectors. New blue LED illumination control eliminates problems associated with previous industry standard light sources and improves...
Core Tuner was developed by Dimension Technology based on many years of experience. Superior image processing capabilities gives Core Tuner excellent performance, high numerical accuracy and repeatability. Dimension Technology offers the manual, Core Tuner C, and the...
The FVAi digital bench-top microscope is the ideal inspection solution for fiber connector production. It gives users a single system that is scalable to optimize throughput at any stage of the production process. With onboard capabilities for fiber inspection,...