Do you have any documentation available on controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules?
Understanding and controlling end-face geometry characteristics of PC ferrules is fairly simple and intuitive. A radius is……a radius. And if you want to increase the radius of a ferrule, you simply need to polish with less pressure, or use a harder backing pad while polishing. If you want to decrease the radius, you need to polish with more pressure, or use a softer backing pad.
The Apex is determined simply by how perpendicular the ferrule is to the polishing surface—–a ferrule with a lower Apex value means the ferrule is sitting more perpendicular to the polishing surface than a ferrule with a higher Apex value. Simple, easy to understand and apply.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Polished Connector Geometries, APC
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team July 11, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – remaining material in the syringe - May 23, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Is there a full automation solution in the connector assembly process? - May 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: Components of the fiber optic patch cord (cable assembly) - May 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019