What industries need a fiber optic SMA today?
If you remove the communications applications and markets for fiber optic connectors, what is left?: something less than .1% of the market. What are the applications?
- Medical: laser delivery for ophthalmic (eye), dermatological (skin), and other surgeries. Data and video transmission over short distances, e.g., MRIs.
- Materials processing: laser delivery for cutting and welding thick and thin steel, PC boards, other materials and production processes. Marking of small parts in high volume.
- Spectroscopy: non-destructive testing, measurement for medical, forensic, industrial, research.
- Sensing: pressure, temperature, magnetic, light, position, acceleration. Composite materials for aircraft, boats, wind turbines, vehicles.
- Inspection: parts counting, quality control.
This is just a smattering of what has been and is being done with SMA connectors throughout North America and Europe, and well as Japan, and more recently, Latin America and the rest of Asia, including China. What sets SMA connectors apart from the rest of the fiber world is that the connectors are used in so many different hole sizes; many different fiber sizes are used across such a myriad of applications. For an inventor, scientist, doctor, engineer, or production or marketing manager who finds an unusual or little used fiber in an odd size and wants to use it in a new or modified product that requires a novel fiber size, SMA connectors are readily available in small to moderate quantities in a matter of days, at a stable and predictable price.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 2, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- FOC Tips: considerations regarding freezing epoxy – extending the epoxy’s pot life and saving money - June 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: do you have epoxy information in the form of a matrix? - June 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to investigate core cracking issues and identify the cause - June 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how much water should we use when polishing? - June 12, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Can you give more detail about the bend test? - June 11, 2019
- FOC Tips: the “golden rule” in stripping - June 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: why do we need to consider the Tg when selecting an epoxy? - June 10, 2019
- The Best Laid Plans of Mountains and Men: Crocker Mountain - June 10, 2019
- FOC Tips: Troubleshooting tips specific to Angle and Apex Offset - June 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: what are the most common issues regarding APC polishing geometry? - June 6, 2019