What industries need a fiber optic SMA today?
If you remove the communications applications and markets for fiber optic connectors, what is left?: something less than .1% of the market. What are the applications?
- Medical: laser delivery for ophthalmic (eye), dermatological (skin), and other surgeries. Data and video transmission over short distances, e.g., MRIs.
- Materials processing: laser delivery for cutting and welding thick and thin steel, PC boards, other materials and production processes. Marking of small parts in high volume.
- Spectroscopy: non-destructive testing, measurement for medical, forensic, industrial, research.
- Sensing: pressure, temperature, magnetic, light, position, acceleration. Composite materials for aircraft, boats, wind turbines, vehicles.
- Inspection: parts counting, quality control.
This is just a smattering of what has been and is being done with SMA connectors throughout North America and Europe, and well as Japan, and more recently, Latin America and the rest of Asia, including China. What sets SMA connectors apart from the rest of the fiber world is that the connectors are used in so many different hole sizes; many different fiber sizes are used across such a myriad of applications. For an inventor, scientist, doctor, engineer, or production or marketing manager who finds an unusual or little used fiber in an odd size and wants to use it in a new or modified product that requires a novel fiber size, SMA connectors are readily available in small to moderate quantities in a matter of days, at a stable and predictable price.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
ADDITIONAL CONTENT & RESOURCES:
- Category Resource:
- Find More Information in this Blog:
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 2, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on focenter.com. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking. You can also search your question and others in our content search.
- Scratches and final film - August 13, 2019
- The importance of etching in Chemical Mechanical Planarization of MT ferrules - August 12, 2019
- Glass transition is analogous to the melting point of a solid - August 9, 2019
- Outer jacket and Good stripping techniques - August 7, 2019
- Is fabricating fiber optic cable assemblies a manual or automated process? - August 6, 2019
- Considerations regarding freezing epoxy – to stop the curing process - July 31, 2019
- If you use too much water and flood the platen - July 26, 2019
- Proper maintenance of polishing fixtures is absolutely essential - July 23, 2019
- Troubleshooting tips specific to Key Error - July 19, 2019
- Concerns with automation in the optical fiber industry - July 18, 2019