What industries need a fiber optic SMA today?
If you remove the communications applications and markets for fiber optic connectors, what is left?: something less than .1% of the market. What are the applications?
- Medical: laser delivery for ophthalmic (eye), dermatological (skin), and other surgeries. Data and video transmission over short distances, e.g., MRIs.
- Materials processing: laser delivery for cutting and welding thick and thin steel, PC boards, other materials and production processes. Marking of small parts in high volume.
- Spectroscopy: non-destructive testing, measurement for medical, forensic, industrial, research.
- Sensing: pressure, temperature, magnetic, light, position, acceleration. Composite materials for aircraft, boats, wind turbines, vehicles.
- Inspection: parts counting, quality control.
This is just a smattering of what has been and is being done with SMA connectors throughout North America and Europe, and well as Japan, and more recently, Latin America and the rest of Asia, including China. What sets SMA connectors apart from the rest of the fiber world is that the connectors are used in so many different hole sizes; many different fiber sizes are used across such a myriad of applications. For an inventor, scientist, doctor, engineer, or production or marketing manager who finds an unusual or little used fiber in an odd size and wants to use it in a new or modified product that requires a novel fiber size, SMA connectors are readily available in small to moderate quantities in a matter of days, at a stable and predictable price.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: What is an SMA connector and why do we care?
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team October 2, 2018
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
In addition to replying, we will post your question and our answer here on the AskFOC page. Everyone remains anonymous when we post so feel comfortable asking your questions. You can also search to see if your question has already been answered in the FAQs section below.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how can we figure out ideal fiber height for a fiber optic connectors? - October 18, 2018
- FOC Tips: epoxy de-gassing - October 17, 2018
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – gradually decrease grit size when sanding and polishing - October 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how do you ensure proper bond line thickness? - October 15, 2018
- FOC Tips: purchasing bulk material for fiber optic epoxies - October 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What is the recommended needle size to dispense epoxy? - October 11, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber diameters - October 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: How can you decrease and increase Radius values? - October 8, 2018
- FOC Tips: testing of dissimilar connector styles - October 5, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: guidance for developing a fiber optic polishing process? - October 4, 2018