Why are advancements in connectivity important and new designs so inevitable?
For years, connectivity in the cable industry was considered a “throw it over the wall” issue with a focus on leaving the problem to others who then became responsible for the convenience of connecting the cables designed to the outside world. It wasn’t considered necessary to pursue technological coordination between the cable designers and connectivity designers. When we talk about advancements in connectivity we have to look to the past, because with analog communications the cable lost bandwidth quickly with length so connectivity was either primary as with RF coax or totally secondary with twisted pair in that techniques for termination were very basic. In today’s world, we are tasking our existing infrastructure to perform well beyond its initial design criteria and designing new infrastructure to accommodate the spiraling demands of bandwidth today’s consumer demands. Simply put, connectivity is becoming the gating factor in pushing more bandwidth from today’s existing systems and the new designs entering the marketplace as we speak. Effectively it is critical to the overall system approach that is now required.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Looking at our industry from a systems perspective: The future of cable is inextricably tied to connectivity.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 18, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: does FOC have information on common layers and what to consider when stripping? - May 20, 2019
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping and damage - May 17, 2019
- FOC Tips: to help establish good cleaning techniques throughout your polishing process - May 16, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Does Fiber Optic Center accept returns of crystallized epoxies? - May 15, 2019
- FOC Tips: implementing a cross-sectioning capability IN-HOUSE - May 14, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: What are COATED flock pile pads and are there multiple choices for them? - May 13, 2019
- FOC Tips: IL @ 1310 and 1550 similar - May 9, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Our epoxy is curing differently and has a different color. Can I use it? - May 8, 2019
- FOC Tips: the hole in the ferrule is not perfectly centered - May 7, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: is there a trick to keep the polishing film from moving? - May 6, 2019