Why are advancements in connectivity important and new designs so inevitable?
For years, connectivity in the cable industry was considered a “throw it over the wall” issue with a focus on leaving the problem to others who then became responsible for the convenience of connecting the cables designed to the outside world. It wasn’t considered necessary to pursue technological coordination between the cable designers and connectivity designers. When we talk about advancements in connectivity we have to look to the past, because with analog communications the cable lost bandwidth quickly with length so connectivity was either primary as with RF coax or totally secondary with twisted pair in that techniques for termination were very basic. In today’s world, we are tasking our existing infrastructure to perform well beyond its initial design criteria and designing new infrastructure to accommodate the spiraling demands of bandwidth today’s consumer demands. Simply put, connectivity is becoming the gating factor in pushing more bandwidth from today’s existing systems and the new designs entering the marketplace as we speak. Effectively it is critical to the overall system approach that is now required.
READ THE FULL BLOG ARTICLE HERE: Looking at our industry from a systems perspective: The future of cable is inextricably tied to connectivity.
Answered by AskFOC Technical Team February 18, 2019
Have a technical question for Fiber Optic Center?
Please email your question to AskFOC@focenter.com and we will respond ASAP.
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: We are considering using) MT thermoset or thermoplastic ferrules in our cable assemblies. What do we need to know before deciding? - March 5, 2019