Epoxy must be thoroughly mixed and then degassed to remove bubbles. (In the production process, you don’t want to dispense any bubbles inside the ferrule.)
You may have heard the advice to mix epoxy based on time, for example, 1 minute of mixing or 90 seconds of mixing. But when mixing manually, different users may mix at different rates – that is, one person may stir more quickly than another, or if roll-mixing a bi-pack one person may roll faster than another.
For epoxy bi-pack mixing, using a roller or the edge of a table, we recommend using a counting-based process rather than a time-based process. Usually, 20-25 uniform passes using a consistent mixing rhythm should be sufficient. The goal is to thoroughly blend Part A and Part B with minimal bubbles. Bubbles will appear in properly mixed epoxy. If you mix too vigorously, you can trap more air and introduce more bubbles, and this may add time to your degassing process.
Click HERE to read step-by-step mixing instructions, with illustrations, for epoxy burst pouch bi-packs.
Bonding Optical Fiber to the Ceramic Ferrule SERIES:
November 2017: Part 1: Best practices for epoxy preparation and dispensing
Click to learn more:
- Helpful Epoxy Tips (and a Few Tricks)
- Bond Line Thickness & More: Answers to Common Epoxy Questions
- Ideas to Adjust Your Epoxy Process: Recommendations to Reduce Waste (and Save Money) in Your Fiber Optic Cable Assembly Process
- Crystallization in Epoxies: Steps for You to Spot it – and Fix It.
- Crystallization in Epoxies: How to Identify and Reverse It
- Epoxy Bi-Pack News – and Usage Tips for Best Results
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
- Bookmark the Adhesive/Epoxy Page and Contact Info at: https://focenter.com/angstrombond/
Contact FOC with questions at: (800) 473-4237 / 508-992-6464 or email: email@example.com
Follow Kelly @EpoxyExprtsFOC
- FOC Tips: important preventive measures to help reduce chance of fiber damage during stripping - April 23, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: can the errors made in the Termination processes be detected by subsequent production-line tests / measurements? - April 20, 2018
- FOC Tips: abrasive lapping films - April 19, 2018
- FOC Tips: fiber stripping - April 17, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how and when should you purchase epoxy material in premixed and frozen syringes? - April 16, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: how tight is the buffer on the cable that I am providing? - April 13, 2018
- FOC Tips: optical fiber and faster transmission rates - April 12, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: When does Bi-Directional make sense? - April 10, 2018
- FOC Tips: ferrule size - April 9, 2018
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why Do Scratches Appear After Using the Final Film? - April 5, 2018