The Dilemma of Online Strategy
Online or Digital Marketing Strategy can feel overwhelming with multiple options to match with perpetual corporate goals. There is also a lot of information available with the ‘answers’ to the perfect Digital Marketing Strategy that can add to the where-do-I-start feeling around this subject.
My colleagues know that I love and apply some of the lessons learned through my children’s education. When learning to read, there was a phrase my daughter brought home in kindergarten, “Chunk-It-Out”. A Chunking activity simply means breaking the text down into smaller parts The reading strategy breaks words into manageable ‘chunks’ to sound out, rather than having to tackle sounding out each individual letter.
Chunk-It-Out as a life strategy helps identify key steps and makes it easier to organize and synthesize information. It is a great place to start with anything that overwhelms professionally or personally. So when it comes to having to develop an online strategy (or write an article blog on it, for that matter), I say Chunk-It-Out.
First, digital strategy is different from digital campaigns.
- digital strategy is a plan for maximizing technology-focused initiatives
- digital campaign is an online marketing effort to drive engagement, conversions, traffic, or revenue.
Here are a few steps chunked out and organized to creating a successful Online Marketing Strategy:
In addition to being the first impression of your company for many, website design and navigation impacts overall branding. Approach your website as if it is the first time you have ever seen it and do not know what is there. Note your experience. Key points to think about during that experiment:
- Does the design feel professional?
- Are the colors and graphics distracting or helpful?
- Is the message clear?
- Is the navigation intuitive?
- Are the offerings as expected?
- What is your overall feeling about the company based only on the website and no other factors or information?
Content with inclusion of keywords will increase your SEO. Blogs that provide customers with useful, relevant information will begin the pattern of increased online visitors and strengthen the brand.
Quick checklist to follow with set up of content:
- Plan blog topics based on the areas that you need to create thought leadership
- Create a marketing calendar with the publish dates for blogs and associated topics
- Design easy to access area for content to be found
- Commit to sharing content posts to database and through social media.
- Encourage engagement through comment options on posts.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Many potential customers start at search to see their options. SEO will determine if you are found or not found. Be sure you research and understand where you need to be and how you rank there. Here are some topics to research to help with SEO strategy:
- Confirm you are optimized on all browsers and mobile
- Research what keywords are most commonly searched for in your industry
- Incorporate those keywords in all digital marketing and pages
- Make a schedule to be checking what keywords are ranking well on search engines
- Read articles on the latest SEO strategies quarterly. It changes quickly.
Because you can’t always keep your website on people’s minds just because you are exquisite, email marketing is a great way to stay in front of your customers. Pay attention to:
- Create a design for your template that is consistent with your website. (strengthen your branding)
- Provide useful, relevant information through email on a regular basis as a resource in place of asking for sales.
Engagement through Social Media
In addition to increasing SEO rankings and traffic to your website, social media provides an appropriate forum for conversation, personality and relationship building. With those goals in mind, consider these tasks:
- Have a corporate account on:
- Create a community through planned, frequent activity on each of these (above).
- Post company status updates, news, content posts, information and personal happenings around the office.
- Connect, tag, share, comment, and follow others in the industry and build a brand of community and inclusion.
Keeping in mind that a campaign is an actual effort to drive engagement, conversions, traffic, or revenue, choosing the right campaigns is an art.
Refer to our blog, Marketing Objectives vs. Actions: Identifying Where the Discrepancies Occur, for the eight step process of
Some additional tips for campaign building can be found in our blog, Branding Matters, with information on:
- Audience Identification and Development
- Relationship Building
- Communication Impact on Branding
Fiber Optic Center, Inc. (FOC) has developed effective ways to engage daily with our target markets, experience growth of audience, and effectively push and pull technical content. As we continue to strengthen our best practices & strategy resources, we will share with our loyal following.
Additional resources from the FOC team include:
- FOC technical solution content: http://bit.ly/29WTvgn
- Glossary, Acronyms, Military Specifications for Connectors: http://bit.ly/2a2EFn8
- Q&A Resource: email technical questions to AskFOC@focenter.com
Here are the links to this full Marketing Blog Series:
- FOC Marketing Tip 1: Branding Matters
- FOC Marketing Tip 2: Building Relationships through Solution and Consultative Selling
- FOC Marketing Tip 3: Marketing Objectives vs. Actions: Identifying Where the Discrepancies Occur
- FOC Marketing Tip 4: The Dilemma of Online Strategy
- FOC Marketing Tip 5: Promotion Best Practices
- FOC Marketing Tip 6: SOP Development
- FOC Marketing Tip 7: Global Strategy Conversation
- FOC Marketing Tip 8: The Roles of a Marketing Team
- FOC Marketing Tip 9: Trade Show Strategy Revisited
- FOC Marketing Tip 10: Product Inventory Management and a quick snapshot….
- FOC Marketing Tip 11: Business Development: An Honest Conversation
- FOC Marketing Tip 12: Social Media Navigation
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: some patch cords show ‘gain’ so how can this be possible, is there something wrong with the instrument? - March 22, 2019
- FOC Tips: available supply of specialty connectors has a positive impact on those considering using non-standard fiber sizes - March 21, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why is bond line thickness important? - March 19, 2019
- FOC Tips: 3D printed objects – steps for sanding your 3D printing project - March 18, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Why has connectivity become so important? - March 14, 2019
- FOC Tips: on epoxy curing - March 13, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Since cleanliness counts, how can I improve my epoxy work surface? - March 12, 2019
- FOC Tips: To accurately measure IL/RL, using a high-quality tester is imperative - March 11, 2019
- Fiber Optic Center AskFOC: Which package size of epoxy is right for my process? - March 7, 2019
- FOC Tips: Cross-sectioning is an effective diagnostic tool - March 6, 2019